The Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA) holds the unique position of being Canada’s leading national authority on substance use and addiction. Our internationally recognized experts, along with a mutually supportive yet arms-length relationship with government, help the Centre make a lasting impact on Canadian society through engaging with the public sector.
CCSA increases awareness of evidence and best practices among elected officials, key policy makers, the substance use field and the public, which is crucial to addressing the harms associated with substance use and addiction.
We share our expertise through the following public sector engagement activities:
- Advising federal parliamentarians and public service staff engaged with these issues;
- Participating in parliamentary committees and caucuses on substance use matters;
- Engaging with provincial and territorial governments;
- Developing and nurturing relationships with the media;
- Amplifying stakeholder work through our social media channels;
- Monitoring relevant legislative and regulatory initiatives at federal and provincial levels; and
- Hosting CCSA’s Issues of Substance, our biennial conference for the addictions field, research community and public sector.
Presentations to Parliament
- Submission to Health Canada consultation to inform proposed new regulations for supervised consumption sites and services
- Presentation to the Senate Committee on National Finance on Bill C-97, Part 3: Taxation by THC
- Brief Submitted to the Health Canada Consultation on Regulations for Cannabis Edibles, Extracts and Topicals
- Health Canada Consultation on the Controlled Drugs and Substances Strategy
- Presentation on the Impacts of Methamphetamine Use in Canada to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Health
- Presentation on pre-mixed drinks combining high alcohol, caffeine and sugar content to House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Health
- Presentation to the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs, Study of Bill C-45, Canadian Cannabis Act
- Presentation to the Senate Standing Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology, Study of Bill C-45, Canadian Cannabis Act
- Brief Submitted to the Health Canada Consultation on the Potential Market for Cannabis Health Products that Would Not Require Practitioner Oversight
Additional Briefs and Analyses
- Federal Budget 2019: Highlights components relevant to CCSA and the substance use field.