Competency-based Performance Management
A performance management system is intended to assist management and employees in:
- Communicating performance goals,
- Sharing performance information on a regular basis,
- Fostering learning and development, and
- Exploring career opportunities.
A competency-based approach to performance management improves transparency and clarifies expectations between the employer and employee.
The generic Guide to Competency-based Performance Management:
- Describes a structured approach to managing performance,
- Can be adapted as necessary for specific contexts or cultures,
- Does not address remedial measures for employees experiencing challenges on the job or suggest corrective procedures for continued poor performance, and
- Does not focus specifically on career development.
Job-specific tools for conducting employee performance reviews for the seven job clusters are provided in Performance Management Tools for Common Job Clusters for the Behavioural Competencies. To assist you in planning the initial review, sample performance objectives have been provided. They relate to the competencies in each job profile.
These tools are useful as templates or starter guides, but they might not accurately represent the competencies required for the position you are evaluating. It is important, therefore, to review each tool to ensure the suggested competency profile represents the work in your organization. Use Adapting the Proficiency Profiles if changes are needed.
Ensure that all performance evaluations are conducted in accordance with existing organizational policies and procedures.
Guide to Competency-based Performance Management
Describes a structured approach to managing employee performance that can be adapted for specific contexts or cultures.
Performance Management Tools for Common Job Clusters for the Behavioural Competencies
A process and templates for conducting employee performance reviews for the seven job clusters. Provides a selection of sample performance objectives for the competencies in the job cluster competency profile.